Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Shift: When?


The Shift: When?

       People planning an R2I (Return to India) have decided to move at many different times in their children’s lives. So that begs the question: when is the best time to move to India, in terms of education? Honestly, there is no right answer. When I moved, I was 11 and joining the 6th grade, while my brother was 5, joining UKG (Upper Kindergarten). For me, it seemed like a good time, because I anyway had to transition from elementary to middle school if I was in the US, and now it was the same, just in a different country. My brother had only been in America up till preschool, so the shift didn’t affect his education. I know many friends who shifted in vastly differing ages, but the most common are listed below:

-      4 – 5 years (Preschool to LKG/UKG)
-      8 years (2nd to 3rd grade)
-      10 years (4th to 5th grade)
-      11 years (5th to 6th grade)
-      14 years (8th to 9th grade)

There are examples for pretty much any age.

As I mentioned earlier, there really isn’t a correct answer for when is the best time to shift. Whenever you shift you will face the same challenge, namely, the school and curriculum change. The school, teachers, and method of studying will change no matter when you shift. But in my opinion, I felt there are certain periods where shifting is better, rather than other periods.

I think that the best time to shift is either during the Preschool to LKG/UKG period or the 4th to 5th/ 5th to 6th period.

A definite no for shifting, is from 11th to 12th grade, because in India, especially for engineering or medical, 11th grade is essential. Entrance exams require you to have knowledge on topics learnt in 11th grade in India. To put things into perspective, the JEE exam generally consists of 40% of 11th grade topics, and if you come directly into 12th grade, you’re missing 40% of what you need to know for the exam. Shifting during 9th or 10th grade, may or may not work out, owing to other factors. I’ve seen such shifts succeed, some go awry because the curriculum change doesn’t go well with the student and some students move back to the US.

The Preschool to LKG/UKG shift is good in one way, because you won’t miss out much in terms of education. In either country, you’ll be learning the alphabet, numbers, etc. However, if you do shift at this age, you won’t have any experience in the American education system, because the first years of proper schooling will be in India. Having experience in an American education system can be really beneficial, and I speak from experience. Briefly speaking, your method of thinking is different, and in many ways, better than that of those who have studied in India throughout their life. Of course, this is isn’t true for everyone, but in my opinion, having at least a few years of American education is advantageous.

In my opinion, shifting from elementary school in US to middle school in India is the best time, in terms of education. As I said earlier, a transition of country is wanted, and a transition from elementary to middle school is going to happen. So why not kill two birds with one stone? This seemed to work for me. Of course, school will be completely different, but if you plan to continue in India, you still have many years to adjust. For me, I had 6 years of schooling in US, followed by 7 years of schooling in India, and it seems like a good balance.

Considering all factors, it's your decision to make, but it would be helpful if you considered these points.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Choice of School.

Choice of School In this part I'll only be talking about Bangalore schools because I've lived here for 7 years and know a fair...